78-L Mail List
This is the homepage of the 78-L mailing list.
To subscribe or unsubscribe to 78-L
(NOTE: Previous subscribers will be subscribed automatically)
When you enter your email address to subscribe, enter it alone
in the text box (like this): email@example.com
Do not enter it like this <firstname.lastname@example.org> (will be rejectd)
Do not enter it like this “Roger Rabbit” <email@example.com>
To view the current 78-L Archives, see: 78-L Archives
To send email to 78-L, send the email it to: 78-L@78online.com
Questions? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will answer as soon as I can.
(1) When sending email to 78-L, don't use the host name 'klickitat'. It works but is not desirable.
You should send your emails to
the list to 78-L@78online.com
just like before.
Don't use the server 'hostname', as in 78-L@klickitat.78online.com
That wont work if the list is moved from the server named 'klickitat'.
(2) Each 78-L member now has a 'personal' home page, accessed using 8-character password.
You were mailed a link to that personal page. As long as you have the link, you can go to the page and request that your password be re-sent to you. Once you log in, you can:
(a) Turn email to yourself on and off
(b) Change from regular-list to digest-list
(d) Change your subscribed email address
(e) Change your password
(f) Change other options which are not relevant at present.
(3) It is also possible to do the things in (4) using emails. But the format is different from the old list. I will explain more as we go along.
(4) Currently, emails are limited to 30,000 characters maximum. They are mostly under 2000. But the 'mailman' program counts characters in the arriving email, before attachments are stripped. The old list stripped the attachments, then counted characters. The problem is one person has a signature that includes .jpg images where the image itself is over 30,000 characters. Then the post comes to the list-owner for 'approval'. I am trying to find a work-around for this.
(5) Digests are sent out once per day (default), or when the mail since the last digest totals over 40,000 characters. The default-digest is sent at 9PM, I will be changing that after I make sure it doesnt hurt any other 'automatic' tasks. The old list always sent the default-digest out at about 5AM.